The Green Science Policy Institute (GSP) is hiring a full-time Science and Policy Associate to contribute to our scientific research and policy work. GSP is looking for a motivated, organized, and capable individual to work with our team of science and policy experts and play a key role in advancing our mission.
The Science and Policy Associate implements projects and activities for the organization including scientific research, writing, policy and project management work; drafts materials for publication; and helps maintain relationships with partner organizations. The Associate will have the opportunity to advance to a leadership position in a growing organization.
The Associate will work with minimal supervision to do the following.
- Contribute to GSP projects such as:
- “Six Classes” Project working with large purchasers to reduce the use of the most harmful families of chemicals
- Responsible Disposal for furniture and plastics containing flame retardants
- Green Building Initiative for safer insulation products
- International Flammability Standards project
- The Safe Kids project to reduce toxics in children’s products
- Co-author scholarly papers, op-eds, and other publications
- Develop educational and presentation materials
- Aid in the preparation for and present at Green Science Policy symposia at UC Berkeley, nationally, and internationally
- Write grant proposals and help with development activities
Position Expectations and Qualifications
- An advanced degree in chemistry, biology, environmental engineering, public health, toxicology, environmental science, or a related field
- Ability to take initiative, think creatively, and solve problems
- Efficient, organized, resourceful, and a proven track record of on-time delivery of high-quality work
- Attention to detail, diligence, persistence, and flexibility
- Superb written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment
- Ability to research and synthesize information on scientific and policy topics
- Work experience managing projects and people
- Mastery of Microsoft Office suite, including PowerPoint, Word, Excel
- Passionate about our mission to protect health and environment worldwide
- Work experience in chemistry, biology, engineering, toxicology, public health, and/or public policy
- Experience working with industry, NGOs, and/or government
- Experience researching and writing peer-reviewed papers
- Experience teaching or working with undergraduates
- Website and/or database maintenance and development skills
Compensation and Hours
The Associate should be available to work full time in our North Berkeley office for a minimum of two years. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
To apply, email jobs@GreenSciencePolicy.org with “Science and Policy Associate Application” in the subject line. Please send a resume, writing sample, and a cover letter describing your situation, career objectives, and interest in the position. Include the names of three references; your possible start date; your academic transcript if available; and anything else you think we should know about you.
Position is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed as they are received so applicants are encouraged to apply promptly.
The Green Science Policy Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.