Green Science Policy Institute brings together scientists, government, industry and nongovernmental organizations to share scientific research data in order to reduce the use of harmful chemicals. Working globally to protect our health and environment, the Institute has prevented the use of billions of pounds of toxic flame retardants and other unneeded and harmful chemicals in consumer products.
The Institute is a growing organization with a current staff of six. We have an opening for a full-time Administrative Specialist who will manage the office administration. This position will involve liaising with our key stakeholders in government, industry and academia as well as the press and our donors. The Specialist will work with our dedicated team of scientists and policy experts to make important contributions to our work protecting our health and environment.
We are looking for a new staff member who will maintain an organized and efficient office with minimal supervision. Duties include:
- Planning the logistics and support for Institute meetings and events
- Preparing written materials for meetings with government, industry and scientists
- Writing, editing and sending correspondence
- Writing, designing, and publishing newsletters
- Preparing bills and disbursements
- Collecting and depositing institute donations and receipts
- Maintaining calendars
- Supporting fundraising work
- Maintaining and updating our member and donor databases
- Assisting Executive Director and staff in travel arrangements and other events
- Developing and archiving general public, press, and donor materials for events and meetings
- Supervising changes to our websites, Facebook, Twitter and blog
- Purchasing office supplies and equipment
- Communicating with cleaning and maintenance personnel to ensure office upkeep
Position Expectations and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- Administrative and/or office management experience
- Superb organizational, interpersonal, and written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent ability to think creatively and solve problems
- Attention to detail, diligence, and persistence
- Ability to work well both independently and in a team environment
- Experience organizing travel, event, and meeting planning
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Experience with collaborative tools such as DropBox and Google Apps
- Excellent internet researching skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with conflicting demands on your time
- Passion for working to protect our health and environment from toxic chemicals
- Prior experience working in a nonprofit or academic environment
- Financial or accounting experience
- Experience with Microsoft Access
- Experience with email marketing software (e.g., Constant Contact or MailChimp)
- Experience with tech troubleshooting
- Experience with bibliographic references
- Website management experience; HTML programming skills
- Communication experience with press and other media
Compensation and Hours
The Associate should be available to work full time in our North Berkeley office. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Please send a cover letter describing your career objectives, including the date when you can start. Include a resume, writing sample, and anything else you think we should know. Please email to email@example.com with the subject title: Administrative Specialist Application.
The Green Science Policy Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
To learn more about the Green Science Policy Institute, visit www.GreenSciencePolicy.org.